Training for Dental Hygienists & Auxiliaries
Dental Auxiliary Radiology Training (DART)
DART Radiology Certification is required for dental assistants in Utah to expose radiographs. Weber State offers a board-approved course that meets the criteria stated in the Dentist and Dental Hygienist Practice Act Rules.
Brief Description of TrainingThe training will include classroom instruction only. There will be no hands-on component. The following topics will be addressed:
- Generation of X-rays
- Dental Radiographic techniques
- Infection control in the taking and processing of dental radiographs
- Effects of radiation on human tissues
- Patient / operator safety
- Processing of Radiographs
- Digital X-rays
CancellationsYou must cancel at least 5 days before the class begins to receive a full refund. No refund will be given if the course is missed. This course will be canceled in the event of insufficient registration.
CertificationYou will receive a certification of completion following the training.
RegistrationLocationWSU Campus, Marriott Allied Health Bldg., Room 480. The instructor will be a faculty member from the WSU Department of Dental Hygiene. Cost $65
Local Anesthesia and Related Pharmacology for Dental HygienistsThis Weber State training now includes additional content and more clinical time in order to better prepare you to:
- Understand the pharmacological science and clinical techniques.
- Take the Western Regional Examination Board (WREB) Dental Hygiene Local Anesthesia examination.
- Obtain an endorsement to administer local anesthesia in dental hygiene practice.
LOCATIONWSU Marriott Health Building Lectures: Room 479 Clinic practice sessions: Room 463
COURSE MATERIAL & PREPARATION
- After registering for the course, a self-study guide, and an A6 parking pass will be made available to you.
- Complete all pre-session readings and exercises outlined in the study guide.
- Come to the workshop prepared to discuss the pre-session information, complete and successfully pass the workshop examinations, and practice local anesthesia techniques.
- Questions regarding course content, reading material, exam review and preparation, clinic practice time and other topics will be addressed during the course.
- Clinic attire is required each day; uniform scrubs, clinic shoes, safety glasses/eyewear. All infection control protocols will be followed in the clinic setting.
- All disposable clinic supplies and materials to provide local anesthesia while in the course are included in the registration fee.
- A variety of anesthetic syringes will be available for use. All other instruments, i.e., cotton pliers, mouth mirrors are also on site. For the WREB local anesthesia examination, you will need to provide your own syringe and disposable materials and supplies. If you have a syringe that you would like to practice with, you are welcome to bring it with you to the workshop.
*Note: The required text book comes with DVD that will be used during the workshop. You will need to purchase the book. Required Text: Handbook of Local Anesthesia, 6th Edition, by Stanley F. Malamed. Publisher: Mosby.
INSURANCEParticipants must show proof of professional malpractice/liability insurance coverage on the first day of the workshop. Please make a copy of your insurance endorsement for the course administrator. You will need proof of insurance to take the WREB Local Anesthesia examination, as well. If you do not have insurance in force, it is suggested that you contact an insurance agent immediately. Examples below:
- Pie Insurance 445 East 4500 South SLC, Utah 84107 801-262-0200 email@example.com
- Seabury and Smith 1440 North Renaissance Dr. Park Ridge, IL 60068-1400 1-800-323-2106 ext. 34479
- You are responsible for obtaining and completing a WREB Local Anesthesia Examination application.
- Identify and reserve the testing dates that satisfy your scheduling needs at www.wreb.org.
CANCELLATION POLICYThe workshop may be cancelled in the event of insufficient registration and/or circumstances beyond the control of Weber State University or the Dental Hygiene department. Refunds will be limited to tuition fees only.
- For general registration questions Kathy Rivera 801-626-8040
- For specific course questions Stephanie Bossenberger 801-626-6451