All applications are due approximately 1 month before classes begin.
After registering you will receive an information packet in the mail. There will be detailed step-by-step instructions on completing the application in this packet. It consists of:
- Online application found at http://www.utahpost.org/knowlegebase/applicant
- DO NOT submit the application until your interview with Director Jack Rickards here at the academy
- Uploading several documents into the application (see below for a list of documents)
- Background check completed by Investigators at POST
Once you are registered you will have a spot in that session of the academy unless something comes out in the application/background check process that prevents you from being accepted into the program. See also the Utah POST website shown above for more details on the guidelines for the application.
The documents must be scanned to enable you to upload them to the application. If you don’t have a scanner you can bring them to our office and we can scan them to an email address for you.
- “Passport”-style photo
- Capture subject from the shoulders and leave space above head
- Stand 1 ft from background to avoid shadows
- Neutral expression – no teeth showing
- Correct red-eye
- Light colored background
- Photo should be no more than one month old
- Birth Certificate or Naturalization number & date
- Medical Release (included in the info packet that will be mailed to you)
- NPOST Results
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Transcripts showing graduation date
- GED certificate
- Diploma certification or transcripts showing a 2 yr or 4 yr degree
- Military DD-214 (if applicable)
- Criminal Arrest Records (if applicable)
- If there are multiple arrest records they must be scanned together as one document and uploaded
- If the arresting agency states that the record has been destroyed or cannot be found, a letter from that agency must be uploaded in place of the record
- Criminal Court Records (if applicable)
- If there are multiple court records they must be scanned together as one document and uploaded
- If the court states that the record has been destroyed or cannot be found, a letter from that court clerk must be uploaded in place of the record
- 10-panel Drug Test (required but not uploaded to the application)
Results must be mailed directly to the Academy
Drug Use/Criminal History
It is extremely important to be open and honest in answering all the questions but especially the ones about drug use and/or criminal history. This cannot be stressed enough. You must include everything, including juvenile offenses, dismissed offenses, expunged offenses, even things for which you were never charged.
It is highly likely that any omitted information will come out later during the polygraph test that is a part of the hiring process. The consequences of leaving something off, whether accidental or on purpose are very serious. Penalties range from a minimum of 2 year waiting period before applying again for training or certification to decertification.