Physical Training RequirementsYou are required to pass each of the four events to be admitted into the Police Academy. For your information, and to help you prepare for the test, the following instructions are included for each event. (Consult your physician before beginning any exercise program.) The procedure and order for testing is recommended as follows:
- Warm up for 3 minutes; perform the Vertical Jump test and rest for 2 minutes.
- Perform the One Minute Sit Up test and rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Perform the 300 Meter Run, then rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Perform the Maximum Push Up test, then rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Do the cardio-warm up for 2 to 3 minutes, then perform the 1.5 Mile Run and cardio-cool down for 5 minutes.
- Have subjects warm up
- Subjects should be instructed to cover the distance as fast as possible
- At the command “GO” time is started.
- Score is time to run the course
- A cool down is required after running
- The subject starts in front, lean and rest position. Hands are shoulder width apart, feet are 3″ apart or less.
- The subject lowers self until the elbows lock out with the upper arm parallel to the ground in the down position.
- The back must be kept straight at all times
- The subject can rest in the up position
- Subject stands flat footed with one side toward the wall and reaches up as high as possible to make his/her standard reach
- Subject jumps as high as possible and marks the spot on the wall above his/her standard reach mark
- Score is the inches to the nearest ½ inch
- The best of three trials is the score
- The subject starts by lying on his back, knees bent, heels flat on the floor. Hands are behind the head but not interlaced
- A partner hold the feet down
- The subject then performs as many correct sit-ups as possible in one minute.
- In the up position, the individual should touch his elbows to his knees or upper legs and then return to a full lying position before starting the next sit up
- The subject should not raise the buttocks from the ground and when returning to the down position the shoulder blades should touch the ground.
- Score is total number of correct sit-ups in 1 minute
- Subject runs 300 meters at maximal level of effort. Time to complete distance is recorded
- Subject should walk for 3-4 minutes immediately following test to cool down. This is an important safety practice.
Insurance Information for Self-Sponsored Students:
POST does not provide insurance benefits to students attending the Satellite Academies. Students are expected to provide their own insurance protection for injuries that may occur while participating in any basic training program.
1.5 Mile Run
Entrance Requirement: 16 minutes 11 seconds
Exit Requirement: 14 minutes 46 seconds
A measure of cardiovascular endurance or aerobic power. It is almost an identical test to the 12-minute run test, only instead of distance the subject runs for time.