The American Legion Boys State program is the country's premiere summer youth camp designed to develop leadership and promote civic responsibility in young men.
Created in 1935 to combat the rise of radicalized youth groups in other countries, Boys State instills in youth a deeper appreciation of how government works as well as the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.
Hands-on Workshops on Democracy and Government
Attendees will have the chance to:
- Launch campaigns and run for office.
- Draft and debate legislation.
- Actively participate in all phases of creating and running a working government.
- Make friends with students from other parts of the state.
- Earn three University credit hours in Political Science 2920 (transferrable to other state-funded institutions).
- Elect student senators to represent the state at Boys Nation in Washington, D.C.
Available to Any High School Junior
Boys State is available to young men who have completed their junior year of
high school and receive a recommendation from school officials. Applicants
must also interview with local American Legion officials. Costs are generally
paid by a sponsoring American Legion post, local business or another