All Applications are Due One Month Before Class Begins
Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis
After registering, you will receive an information packet in the mail. There will be detailed step-by-step instructions on completing the application in this packet. The application process includes:
- Online application.
- Submission of your application followed by an interview with Academy Director Paul Kotter.
- Background investigation completed by Investigators at POST.
Once you are registered, a position will be reserved for you in that session of the academy pending a successful completion of the background investigation. See the Utah POST website shown above for more details on the guideline for the application.
The documents must be scanned in a pdf format (except photo) to enable you to upload them to the application. If you don’t have access to a scanner, contact the academy for alternative instructions.
"Pasport" Style Photo
- Capture subject from the shoulders and leave space above head
- Stand 1 ft from background to avoid shadows
- Neutral expression
- Correct red-eye
- Light colored background
- Photo should be no more than one month old
- Birth Certificate or Naturalization Number & Date:
- Medical Release: (Included in the info packet that will be mailed to you)
High school diploma or equivalent
- Transcripts showing graduation date
- GED Certificate
- Diploma certification or transcripts showing a two-year or four-year degree.
- Military DD-214 (If Applicable)
Criminal Arrest Records (If Applicable)
- If there are multiple arrest records, they must be scanned together as one document and uploaded
- If the arresting agency states that the record has been destroyed or cannot be found, a letter from that agency must be uploaded in place of the record.
Criminal Court Records (If Applicable)
- If there are multiple court records, they must be scanned together as one document and uploaded.
- If the arresting agency states that the record has been destroyed or cannot be found, a letter from a court clerk must be uploaded in place of the record.
- NOTE: As of April 1, 2020, the National Police Officer Selection Test (NPOST) is no longer required for acceptance into the academy. However, some law enforcement agencies may still require the NPOST as part of their hiring processes. If you would like to add an NPOST score to your application, please do so.
Drug Use/Criminal History
Drug Use/Criminal History
It is extremely important to be open and honest in answering all the questions but especially the ones about drug use and/or criminal history. This cannot be stressed enough. You must include everything, including juvenile offenses, dismissed offenses, expunged offenses and even situations for which you were never charged.
It is highly likely that any omitted information will come out later during the polygraph test that is part of the hiring process. The consequences of leaving something off, whether accidental or on purpose are very serious. Penalties may range from a minimum of a two-year waiting period before reapplying up to decertification.